CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

End of Summer...

An update...

The end of summer is near. I know this because I opened the mailbox this past Saturday and found a copy of the L.L. Bean winter catalog filled with items ranging from moose hide slippers to goose down outerwear. I wiped an actual tear from my eye and slid into the elevator...

Mikey and I both took courses over the summer. I took a course on family violence through the social work department and Mikey studied the history and theories of nursing. We had two weeks off between summer school and the fall semester. We immediately headed to our favorite beach down the Jersey Shore in Spring Lake to soak up what sun we had left. I was hoping that my skin might be a little less see-through when we returned, however, that SPF 60 is serious stuff! Below are some pics of Spring Lake Beach and some of the beautiful homes in the area.












One of my closest friends in the MA program, Allison, and I went to Princeton a few weeks ago to spend a day at the salon. We both got haircuts and highlights and attempted to pretend (for one day) that we weren't crazy, stressed out grad students whose busy lives have led to questionable hygiene and really bad hair. We had a really good time. Unfortunately, she has officially graduated and moved to Chicago and NB is an even lonelier place without her.

Work has been really stressful lately. The state of NJ cut the Rutgers budget over 10% and therefore Rutgers is relying on an increase in funds from outside sponsors to relieve some of the strain. I am now the accountant for over 500 grant funded research projects! Unfortunately, I can't complain. Hundreds of Rutgers Employees were laid off over the summer and I ended up being one of the lucky ones.

Mikey is doing extremely well in NJ. He still loves his job at the nursing home and recently obtained his CDL. He is now able to load up the old peeps and their wheelchairs into a rather large bus and drive to various exciting locations, such as, TGI Friday's, Applebee’s, Red Robin and random women's luncheons. He is very excited to start his nursing clinicals this semester. He has purchased some scrubs, nursing shoes, a stethoscope, a pocket protector (it's true), a blood pressure taker, and a list of additional gadgets that I am not familiar with. He insists on taking my blood pressure on the hour, every hour, and takes Abi's and my vital signs periodically throughout the evening as well. Too cute. He continues to be my saving grace here in NJ.






I am taking two courses this semester – Women & Politics and a policy course on violence against women and children through the social work department. I am finally at a point where I feel comfortable being a graduate student and am able to see the progress I have made thus far both on a personal and academic level. I plan to narrow my research interests throughout the duration of the program so that I am able to derive a plan for my future. Below is a picture of the Eagleton Institute for Women and Politics at Rutgers where one of my classes is held.



I hope all of you are well. Please let me know how you are doing. I am going to post some pictures of the babes on their blog (link on the right) shortly…so, those of you who are interested, check back soon!

0 comments: