CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life in NJ...an update...


We finally made it through our first winter in NJ. It didn't start warming up until about a month (or so) ago. Just in time too, I was on the edge! I have officially completed my second semester of graduate school. Rutgers is very different from ASU. The campus is so spread out; you really do have to drive to each class. So, it just has a whole different feel. I am loving the women’s studies program. There are eight of us girls that were accepted into the program during the Fall 07 semester. They are all amazing people and all of us are very different. I think the selection committee did a great job choosing a diverse group. The class discussions are very stimulating and a little intimidating. I am a little out of my league, but I pretend to know what I am doing and it’s worked for me so far. =) Grad school is a lot of work and working full-time during the day doesn’t make it any easier. I am currently working as a grant accountant at Rutgers. Sometimes I feel like I’ve stretched myself too thin...I take things one day at a time.

Mikey was accepted into the nursing program. He completed his first semester this past May. He is doing really well. I have never seen him so excited about school. It seems he has succeeded in finding something he is truly interested in and passionate about. He expects to complete the program by May 2010. He is currently working two jobs. He is serving at a fine-dining restaurant at the Hyatt in the evenings, and he works at a nursing home for people with dementia during the day. He works as a recreation coordinator for 12 old peeps. He loves it. Basically, he plans creative and challenging activities for them to do during the day. He has a ton of funny stories about all of them. One of the old ladies has a crush on him…her name is Mary Ricca and she’s 82. So cute. It’s a good gig too because they pay for all of his tuition, fees, and books for nursing school. It really works out well.

Abi is struggling with life in NJ. She is definitely a desert kitty and misses being able to go outside and enjoy nature (don't we all). She has taken up window gazing as her new hobby. Everyday when I pull up to the apartment after work, I look up to our window to see if she is there. If she is, I can see her big gold eyes and tiny grey ears. So cute. I know she is as homesick as I am (if not more).

Mikey and I plan to make a lot of day trips this summer to some of the places we have always wanted to visit on the East Coast. I will post pictures along the way!

0 comments: